The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) engaged Charles Kendall Australia (CKA) to evaluate, assess and provide recommendations on potential improvements to their procurement category management function.
CKA delivered a comprehensive report and offered a number of options and strategies for improvements to the department's capabilities and competency.
- Assess and build on category management capability.
- Identify and prioritise category management opportunities.
- Evaluate effectiveness of work allocation and team organisation.
- Use findings to build on skills and knowledge of category management staff, as outlined in TMR’s centre-led procurement operating model published in July 2013.
- In-depth capability assessment of 32 TMR Chief Procurement Office (CPO) staff based on 11 criteria (e.g. risk management, relationships, strategy, etc.) to establish benchmarks.
- Full report addressing findings, including shortfalls and possible remediation and improvement strategies (particularly featuring mentoring and knowledge sharing).
- Additional support actions, including documentation drafting, interpreting procedures and reviewing templates.
- Successful delivery of comprehensive report outlining findings and outcomes.
- Measurable value added, with significant uplift in confidence, category management capability and strategic competency across varied seniority levels.
- Detailed data provided to TMR Chief Procurement Officer for consideration and future planning.